I am Belinda Retief. I was overweight for 27 years. For 9 855 days of my life I was on a weight loss diet.
I was your typical dieter, spending money on different diets with no lasting result, never giving up on my dream to be “thin’ and happy.
As a young teenage girl I developed unhealthy eating habits and within a short period gained a lot of weight. Being an overweight teenager, I developed unhealthy dieting habits which resulted in bulimia for 17 years and depression.
When struggling with bulimia, life is a constant battle between the desire to lose weight, in my case, and the overwhelming compulsions to binge eat.
As the tension, hunger, and feeling of deprivation build, the compulsion to eat become too powerful to resist: a “forbidden” food is eaten; a dietary rule is broken. With an all-or-nothing mindset, you feel any diet slip-up is a total failure.
I felt guilty and depressed after I ate. This is hell. But I was always on a “healthy diet”, with the focus on calorie intake and motivation.
My failure in reaching my goal weight, I contributed to, not being motivated enough, lack of self-discipline and lack of exercise. In my late thirties I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and was put on medication and advised to go on a fat free diet. Flu and mouth blisters were so part of my life. It was just “normal” as I worked in a stressful environment and is surrounded by people all the time.
Then a miracle happened. I decided on the 27th July 2010 to cut out all unhealthy food. No more “counting calories” only real food.
In 6 months I lost 35 kilograms. I was on a constant “high” with energy I did not know exist. It was easy, fast and struggle free. I was not in control of what was happening to my body. When asked on what diet I am, my answer was always “no diet, only real food”.
Not only did my body burn the excess fat, but no more mood swings, no colds or flu`s, no more mouth blisters, and my cholesterol returned to normal. In my lifetime I was treated for depression, bulimia, colds and flu`s, mouth blisters, cholesterol, but never for food addiction.
My quest for answers started. I wanted to know, how one such change in my nutritional pattern could be the initiator of such a significant and positive chain reaction in my life.
I have since learned that I was a binge eating addict. I have since learned about high fructose corn syrup. I have since learnt and understand now that our bodies did not evolved to coexist with 24 hour drive-thru’s . In fact, they evolved to be better adapted to period of famine than lifetimes of gluttony. But then, for 27 years I was very interested in nutrition and health, how was it possible that I missed this vital information about how we become fat, how our bodies burn fat, real nutrition and hormonal balance etc. Once we “lock on” to an opinion, belief or attitude as being the “truth” about something, we build scotomas to lock out, different information or opinions.
But, I needed more answers. I knew the one think I changed was to cut out bad food. But there was a second change I made. I changed the way I set my weight loss goals. Previously I wanted to lose x amount of kg in x amount of time period. For me to reach my goal weight I needed to lose 30 kg in 12 months or a “healthy” 500g per week.
In fact, this time there was no weight loss goal, no more daily weighing, no more spreadsheets with weight loss targets. It was only a daily affirmation that “I am thin, I am healthy”. In my mind I have imagine the future me into the present, now at that very moment I was thin and healthy. I have picture vividly, with emotion my new healthy thin body and lifestyle. I saw the future as already now so no more weight loss goals were needed and any dissonance between my future and my present made me very energetic and creative to make my future a reality.
Affirmations protect us from the drag of current reality. If you change the way you think, you will change the way you live. It is that simple.
I now understand how my body functions; I know what real nutrition is and how much my body needs nutrition to function.
Thus, the 4x4Diet coaching springs from our desire to contribute to the good of others.
The 4×4 Diet fat-loss program will empower and support you through your fat loss journey and give you a clear road map to follow. I would now like to take you through our 4x4Diet Overview.
The 4x4Diet is a knowledge based nutritional online fat loss and health management program to empower and support you to achieve optimum wellness, and a wonderful sense of well-being through lifestyle education.
We should ask the question: Why, in a society more diet and health aware as ever before, has obesity become an epidemic. Why has the rate of diabetes in Namibia increased?
For almost half a century we have been told that saturated fat is bad, that obesity is caused by overeating. That a healthy diet, by definition, is a low-fat diet. Bad science and delusion have kept the truth about food hidden for years.
Nutrition and lifestyle changes should be priorities for every individual in our country, not only because cancer, heart disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes are growing, but because they are now appearing earlier in life and threatening to affect children.
- The 4x4Diet looks at what actually happens in your body when you eat. The diet teaches you and your family about nutrition. This knowledge is intended to guide you to further eating enjoyment, while overcoming the seduction of the “fake” food we are surrounded by almost all the time, which creates illness and unnecessary suffering. We say NO to chemically processed, simple carbohydrates, as in fructose and highly refined flour and we show you how this can be achieved.
- The 4x4Diet shares knowledge that every person can utilize daily to guide them to the most healthful and happiest life possible. It looks at what a healthy diet is and confronts the great fructose myth. Refined fructose is not nutrition. It is a poison.
- The 4x4Diet is for all who want to enjoy good health. 4x4Diet members are joining an active community of like-minded people. As a member you will gain supportive services and a worldwide community of online members and friends. You will have the knowledge and tools to ensure your quest for health.
- The 4x4Diet online members will become nutritionally informed. As members of a growing Community of Practice, they will communicate with others, share success stories, and access all the tutorials and newsletters available. Members will learn and share how to prepare delicious and healthful meals.
- The 4x4Life, fat loss online program help you achieve and maintain your ideal weight and keep it off. The fat-loss program focuses on nutrient density. When the ratio of nutrients to calories is high, the fat burns away, and health is restored. Our fat loss program focuses on overcoming sugar addiction.
- The 4x4Life, fat-loss online program also focuses on how your mind works and how you can control the way you think, to achieve your weight loss goal. The barriers to happiness and success quickly disappear once you gain a clear picture of yourself and your attitudes, abilities, potential and goal-setting skills. The fat loss program teaches you how to make fat loss happen through the key 4x4DIet Steps: KNOW, GROW, SHOW and GO measured against 4 Perspectives: MIND, NUTRITION, ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH.
As we focus on the good in food, we will also focus on the bad in food, and how really bad the bad in food is hidden. More info at: www.4x4diet.com, or mail to: email@example.com